Wednesday, May 12, 2010

assignment # 5







Source: Georgie's website/newsletter (http://www.georgies.com/enews/2009-09-24.htm) All three are being shown at Georgie's gallery. Artist: Patrick Brame.

Critique: I decided to post all three of the pictures on Georgie's newsletter page because I am curious how they were made. First the fish and reptile skeleton (?) pots look like they might be terra cotta but I'm not sure. they all look wheel thrown rather than hand built. What I am most curious about is the crackling on the first pot.

I really like the fish and reptile skeleton pots. I think this taps into my association of pottery with cultures of the past. There is a roughness to these pieces, which are charming. The subject matter, the clay, and the coloring all tie into an aesthetic that is organic and in some cases explicitly tied to a longing for the past. The skeleton in particular is undoubtedly a representation of a fossil, a literal remnant of the past.

Even though I describe these pots as having a "roughness" to them that is not to say they are simple or of lesser artistic quality, but rather, is a comment on the artist's choice to not embellish the pots with a high-gloss glaze or elaborate color scheme. The skeleton theme is something I had not seen before but is probably one of the more logical things to be coming out of clay; out of the dirt.

1 comment:

  1. Great write up Mykie. The first pot is made with a slip that is stretched once applied and also shrinks so you get this dried mud effect. The three pots are most likely made from stoneware. The other two have the fish and fossil applied. Let me know if you want more feed back on how they were made!

    ReplyDelete