Wednesday, May 12, 2010

bird birdfeeder


This photo is the inspiration for my bird-shaped bird feeder. Looking at it more I see that the hollow area follows the contours of the bird's wings, or rather, the area where the wings would be.

It's amazing that the same basic idea can become two distinct forms; so far the birds I have built still are not as functional as this one appears to be. Both forms I have made seem to miss the point, with the open area being more on the bird body.

What I have learned from my attempts so far is that this project is easier done by making a solid form, then hollowing it out, rather than building around the cavity with coils. Using this aforementioned method I will attempt a last bird. My plan is to incorporate the opening into the visual space where the wing should be, as I have discussed, and also to enlarge the opening compared to my previous forms for more functionality.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this. Now I can see better what you are looking at for your project.

    ReplyDelete